Welcome to the Australian Faith Community Nurses Association Inc.
We are the peak professional body for Faith Community Nurses (FCN) working in the pastoral health and care ministry (HCM) of Australian Christian churches/faith communities.
Faith Community Nursing is not just ‘another’ ministry of the church. It fits within the core church function of health and care ministry demonstrating the healing mission and ministry of Jesus. Sometimes Faith Community Nursing is referred to as Parish Nursing.
We are here to support you as a Faith Community Nurse or help you become one. As an FCN you unite your nursing skills and your Christian faith to strengthen individuals, families and communities.
Faith Community Nurses (FCNs) provide whole person care of body, mind and spirit. Their practice focuses on promoting health and preventing illness, abuse or injury, and managing existing conditions to maintain optimal health and wellbeing.
FCNs are based in a faith community, a church, church-based school, aged care service or other community service conducted under the auspices of the church. FCNs serve the people within that faith community and/or the people within a geographic or cultural community that particular faith community serves.
While our focus is supporting Faith Community Nursing, we also support churches with health and care ministry resources and guides for setting up Faith Community Nursing.
If you want to know more about why the Faith Community Nurse role is an important function of the local church, click here to download a FREE short e-book that answers this question looking at:
- why the church needs a health and healing ministry
- a Christian perspective on health
- some links between faith and health
- and a brief history of nursing
Become a member or a subscriber to have access to more articles, receive a monthly email update with extra resources, and the extensive Whole Health newsletter delivered to you inbox three times per year. Membership provides additional benefits at a low cost and supports the work of AFCNA in making resources available. For previous newsletters click here
Whilst our You Tube Channel is in its infancy, please click here to view the Canadian Association of Parish Nurse Ministries in-depth video which explains Faith Community Nursing (called Parish Nursing in the video) to see how this role fits in the health ministry of your local church and replicates the healing ministry of Jesus.
Partner with us
You can partner with us by:
- becoming a subscriber to learn and advocate for health and care ministry in the local church and the Faith Community Nurse role
- becoming a financial member to receive the advantages of membership and have a say in the organisation
- making a financial contribution through a donation to our gift fund
- volunteering with us
- organising an event to raise awareness of Faith Community Nursing and/or funds
- like and share our posts on social media (Facebook)
- spread the word about Faith Community Nursing to people in your networks (at church, colleagues, friends and family)
We value your privacy. Click here to read more