This comprehensive internationally recognised course prepares and equips Registered Nurses to become Faith Community Nurses.
It covers topics such as spirituality, theology, professionalism, holistic health, health promotion, illness prevention, community health and much more.
Building on the ‘Introducing Faith Community Nursing’ (AFCNA) and the ‘Be Care’ (Baptist Care SA) workshops, this 36 contact hour course provides the foundational entry-level knowledge needed to become a Faith Community Nurse (FCN). Due to COVID-19 restrictions the course will be online with a mixture of video teaching, activities, student forum and Zoom interactive classes. Click here for a course overview and schedule.
Online course details
- Commences: week of 19th July with first online modules
- Modules added every 2 weeks with a Zoom meeting
- Last online class: week of 6th December
- Cost: $300 AFCNA members ($400 non-members)
- Overview and schedule here
Participants receive a USB copy of AFCNA's 'Introductory'. 'Planning' and 'Documentation' packs as a gift when they start their course
Register via Eventbrite (who charge additional fees) at https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/foundations-of-faith-community-nursing-online-course-tickets-105027273402
or complete the Registration form and make a payment, emailing your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Adding Faith to Community Nursing (7.0 hours)
- Module 1 History, Context and Philosophy of Faith Community Nursing
- Module 2 Whole person health and Healing
- Module 3 Spiritual care
- Module 4 prayer
Professional Practice (11 hours)
- Module 5 Beginning your ministry
- Module 6 Communication and collaboration
- Module 7 Legal and professional aspects
- Module 8 Ethics in Faith Community Nursing Practice
- Module 9 Documenting Faith Community Nursing Practice
Whole health and community care (10 hours)
- Module 10 Health promotion and self-care
- Module 11 Assessment and Accessing resources
- Module 12a Advocacy
- Module 12b Care coordination
- Module 12c Ageing and Transition Care
Supporting specific issues (8 hours)
- Module 13 Mental Health
- Module 14 Family Violence
- Module 15 Loss, suffering, and grief
- Module 16 Self-care that sustains ministry
This course will enrich your practice with:
- Research related to the topics
- Faith tradition and theological exploration
- Key terms with clear definitions to support core concepts
- Content outline to serve as reference material in the future
- Critical thinking questions to help you process content and apply learning
- Learning activities for personal and group application
‘Foundations of Faith Community Nursing’ is an internationally recognised course developed by a panel of experts from the Westberg Institute (USA). This course uses the updated version released in late 2019 to prepare Faith Community Nurses to the same standard around the world.
In America this course fulfills the educational requirements for board certification as a Faith Community Nurse mandated by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) aligning the content with the Faith Community Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice (2017, 3rd edition) published by the American Nurses Association and the Health Ministries Association.
Australian Faith Community Nurses Association has been approved and licensed by the Westberg Institute to provide this course to Australian nurses. The course content will be contextualised to meet the Australian cultural and health care context, and adapted to meet Australian Registered Nurse competencies and standards of practice, codes of ethics and conduct, and Australian Health Practitioner Regulatory Agency (AHPRA) regulations and Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia’s (NMBA) guidelines
‘Westberg Institute for Faith Community Nursing’ has been a leader in faith community nursing education, consultation, and research for over 30 years, serving health ministry programs worldwide. Its mission is to promote the development of high-quality outcomes-based FCN practice as part of an overall health ministry program.
Face to Face
- Due to COVID-19 all courses in 2020 will be online