Faith Community Nurse
- your partner in whole person health
The Faith Community Nurse role is an advanced form of community nursing founded upon Christian principles which seeks to support and strengthen the health and wellbeing of individuals, families and communities.
#faithcommunitynursing #faithinaction #hopeinexpression #loveinmotion
A Faith Community Nurse (FCN) can provide HEALTH:
- promote whole person health
- promote family and community health
- empower self-care and support self-management
Education and counselling
- help people understand their health issues
- support individuals, families, groups and community with health education via print, seminars, groups and personally
- brief health counselling
Advocacy and Referral
- enable people to navigate the health system
- locate resources, obtain referrals, source health support
- advocate with services if necessary
Training and Coordination
- develop health and pastoral care volunteers to ensure quality support in all activities
- care coordination and case management support
Listening and visiting
- discuss health, social and spiritual concerns
- visit at home, residential care, hospital and after discharge
- enable people to stay connected to family and community
Hope and Spiritual Care
- sustain spiritual growth and healing
- prayer and spiritual support
- provision of pastoral care
All FCN functions are undertaken to promote HEALTH, HEALING and WELLBEING of the WHOLE PERSON - body, mind and spirit.
Health areas of focus
There are four areas where FCNs are making a positive difference
AFCNA can help prepare you to become an FCN, support you as an FCN, and help churches establish the FCN role in their faith community.
Learn about the FCN role
The FREE 'Introducing Faith Community Nursing course' has 5 short sessions to increase your understanding of the role. It covers some of the basic practicalities of the role, how to start it, and explains how AFCNA can help nurses become a Faith Community Nurse, and churches to establish a Faith Community Nursing ministry in your local community.
The Foundations of Faith Community Course is a comprehensive internationally recognised course to prepares and equip Registered Nurses to become Faith Community Nurses. It covers topics such as spirituality, theology, professionalism, holistic health, health promotion, illness prevention, community health and much more. Members receive a large discount. Enrol now for May, 2021.
The FREE 'Introductory Pack' has these factsheets and more, and delivers an 'Introducing Faith Community Nursing booklet' which introduces you to the FCN role and steps to take to consider regarding implementation of the FCN role
eBook 'The Faith Community Nurse role is an important function of church ministry'
To increase your understanding of why the FCN role is integral to the church become a member or sign up to our newsletter, and you will receive your FREE copy of this short eBook. It covers why the church needs a health and healing ministry, a Christian perspective on health, some links between faith and health, and a brief Christian history of nursing.